Man attempts self immolation near Parliament
New Delhi: A man hailing from Maharashtra
on Tuesday attempted to immolate himself near Parliament House
demanding the renaming of Dadar railway station in Mumbai
after BR Ambedkar.
Vijay Rustum, an unemployed youth from Maharashtra, had
soaked his left hand in kerosene and set his hand on fire at
Vijay Chowk, barely 100 metres from Parliament House at around
1:15 pm, a senior police official said.
However, bystanders and police personnel immediately
doused the fire. He was taken to Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital
where he was discharged after first-aid.
Singh told police that he attempted to immolate himself
to bring to notice his demand for renaming the Dadar railway
station after Ambedkar, the official said.
Dadar station, one of the busiest railway stations in the
country, is located in central Mumbai and is a key junction
for the railway network. It is a transit point for thousands
of passengers using the Mumbai Suburban Railway.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah