Man gets life term for killing girl by acid
New Delhi: A middle-aged man, who is a
father of four, has been sentenced to life imprisonment by a
Delhi court for "cowardly" act of killing a girl by throwing
acid on her after she spurned his sexual advances.
Additional Sessions Judge Rakesh Tiwari imposed the stern
sentence on Uttar Pradesh native Subhash Chander, noting that
even if the acid attack victim had survived, she would have
been akin to a corpse with extensive acid burns all over her
"Even the judicial conscience is saying it was good that
the victim had expired because being a female, even if she had
survived with about 62 per cent burn injuries on her body, she
would have been reduced to a living corpse only," Additional
Sessions Judge Rakesh Tiwari said.
The court said that Subhash belonged to the village of
the victim`s mother and lived in her house in Sultanpuri
in West Delhi. Although he was addressed as `mama` (maternal
uncle), he did a cowardly act of throwing acid on her and her
minor sisters when they were sleeping, it said.
"The pre-mediation in procuring sulphuric acid in a jug
and throwing the same at the dead of the night when the
deceased and other victims, all being females and not even
being in a position to defend themselves or escape to save
themselves, was the most cowardly act done by the convict
(Subhash)," the judge said.
Besides convicting Subhash for killing the girl, the
court also held him guilty of injuring her siblings and
trespassing into their room and imposed a fine of Rs 50,000 on
According to prosecution, the incident dates back to
February 7, 2005, when the girl was sleeping in her room with
her six siblings. Subhash had entered their room and thrown a
jug of sulphuric acid on them.
Besides the girl, her two sisters, one of whom was
mentally retarded, were sleeping on the same cot and had
received injuries. The girl`s father too had sustained
injuries while trying to rescue the injured girls.
Police said Subhash used to physically assault the girl
and was demanding sexual favours from her. A day before the
incident, the victim had scolded Subhash for his objectionable
behaviour. During the quarrel, he had warned her that he would
ruin her life if she rejected his proposal.
The girl remained in the hospital and succumbed to her
injuries on March 1, 2005.
The victim, in her dying declaration, had told the police
that Subhash after throwing acid at around 3.30 AM had fled
from the spot.
According to the prosecution, Subhash was already married
and having four children but despite that he wanted sexual
favours from the deceased failing which he committed the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'