Man gets life term for killing girl by acid
New Delhi: A middle-aged man, who is a
father of four, has been sentenced to life imprisonment by a
Delhi court for "cowardly" act of killing a girl by throwing
acid on her after she spurned his sexual advances.
Additional Sessions Judge Rakesh Tiwari imposed the stern
sentence on Uttar Pradesh native Subhash Chander, noting that
even if the acid attack victim had survived, she would have
been akin to a corpse with extensive acid burns all over her
"Even the judicial conscience is saying it was good that
the victim had expired because being a female, even if she had
survived with about 62 per cent burn injuries on her body, she
would have been reduced to a living corpse only," Additional
Sessions Judge Rakesh Tiwari said.
The court said that Subhash belonged to the village of
the victim`s mother and lived in her house in Sultanpuri
in West Delhi. Although he was addressed as `mama` (maternal
uncle), he did a cowardly act of throwing acid on her and her
minor sisters when they were sleeping, it said.
"The pre-mediation in procuring sulphuric acid in a jug
and throwing the same at the dead of the night when the
deceased and other victims, all being females and not even
being in a position to defend themselves or escape to save
themselves, was the most cowardly act done by the convict
(Subhash)," the judge said.
Besides convicting Subhash for killing the girl, the
court also held him guilty of injuring her siblings and
trespassing into their room and imposed a fine of Rs 50,000 on
According to prosecution, the incident dates back to
February 7, 2005, when the girl was sleeping in her room with
her six siblings. Subhash had entered their room and thrown a
jug of sulphuric acid on them.
Besides the girl, her two sisters, one of whom was
mentally retarded, were sleeping on the same cot and had
received injuries. The girl`s father too had sustained
injuries while trying to rescue the injured girls.
Police said Subhash used to physically assault the girl
and was demanding sexual favours from her. A day before the
incident, the victim had scolded Subhash for his objectionable
behaviour. During the quarrel, he had warned her that he would
ruin her life if she rejected his proposal.
The girl remained in the hospital and succumbed to her
injuries on March 1, 2005.
The victim, in her dying declaration, had told the police
that Subhash after throwing acid at around 3.30 AM had fled
from the spot.
According to the prosecution, Subhash was already married
and having four children but despite that he wanted sexual
favours from the deceased failing which he committed the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- Sheena murder case: Unfolding deceit, lies and murder!
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter