Man seriously burnt after self immolation
New Delhi: A 32-year-old man said to be a supporter of the fasting Anna Hazare on Tuesday sustained serious burn injuries after setting himself on fire near Rajghat, police said.
Dinesh Yadav, who is from Patna, was raising pro-Hazare slogans when he suddenly poured petrol on himself and set his clothes on fire, vendors at the site told police.
Yadav sustained 70-80 percent burn injuries, police spokesperson Rajan Bhagat said, adding that he was not fit to give a statement.
The incident took place around 4 p.m. in front of Kisan Ghat, the memorial to former prime minister Charan Singh.
Vendors said he had shouted pro-Hazare slogans as well as "Inquilab Zindabad" and "Vande Mataram".
Police Control Room personnel stationed nearby extinguished the flames by throwing a blanket over him and rushed him to the Lok Nayak Hospital, said a police official.
The fire department said the man was taken to the hospital even before they could reach the site.
"We have received a person with burn injuries," a doctor said.
India Against Corruption, which is spearheading the anti-corruption campaign, posted on its Facebook: "A person has tried to self-immolate a short while ago. Taken to hospital. Anna Hazare appeals to all to maintain peace."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing Balochistan's citizens struggle for freedom
- DNA: Two Syrian boys grieving death of brother killed in airstrike
- DNA: Analyzing world's first driverless taxi developed by Singapore company
- DNA: Dr Subhash Chandra Show to focus on building new enterprise
- DNA: Today in History, 26th August, 2016
- Space X Dragon successfully splashes down in Pacific Ocean with crucial NASA research samples
- Good news! Shahid Kapoor and wifey Mira Rajput blessed with a baby girl
- Obama establishes world`s largest marine reserve in Hawaii
- Canadian twins plead guilty to terrorism, face jail time
- Apple issues update after cyber weapon captured