`Mandal Train` is moving: Lalu
Ranchi: In an apparent reference to plans for new social engineering in national politics, RJD chief Lalu Prasad today said "Mandal Express is moving" and those desiring to board could do so, lest they would miss it.
"Mandal (those entitled to Mandal Commission report) is the need of the hour. It is in response to Kamandal to protect social justice," Prasad said at a press conference here.
"Mandal train has started. Those willing to board are welcome while those not interested will miss it," added the former Bihar chief minister, whose bonhomie with JD(U) leader Nitish Kumar revived after the former Jaiprakash Narain disciples were drubbed by the BJP in the Lok Sabha elections.
`Mandal` symbolised political changes in early `90s in Bihar in the wake of implementation of Mandal commission recommendations providing reservation to OBC in jobs which helped RJD rule in Bihar for 15 years. `Kamandal` refers to political movement in the wake of Ayodhya temple movement in the `90s which helped BJP ride to power.
"I know whom you are indicating (Nitish Kumar) to or those whose stomach has started aching (for his joining hands with Nitish)," Prasad said when asked about the alliance.
"Nitish Kumar was `ours`. He grew up in secularism, but went to BJP and allowed it to grow. JD(U)`s divorce with the BJP led to vote division... We defeated BJP in RS elections in Bihar, and not the independent candidate as we knew the BJP`s design," he said.
Claiming that the RJD`s foundations were based on social justice, idealism, principles and secularism, Prasad said Nitish fought LS elections separately and his party got 15 per cent vote share while the RJD had 30 per cent vote share.
"It was a combined 45 per cent. The BJP would not have been in the picture had they fought (in alliance)," Prasad claimed.
"Do you mean to say we should give it to BJP," Prasad said when asked on the performance of Bihar, against which Prasad had been scathing ever since the JDU-BJP alliance dethroned the RJD from power in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi