Maneka Gandhi announces award for women at grass roots level
New Delhi: Women and Child Development Minister Maneka Gandhi today announced an award for women of each district recognising their contribution towards women`s issues and empowerment at the grass roots level.
The award, comprising a cash prize of Rs 25,000 and a citation, will be given to a girl or woman from each district throughout the country on International Women`s Day, March 8, a statement issued by the ministry said.
"This will help to incentivise the activities undertaken by women at the grass roots level in the direction of community development and nation building. The award will give recognition to women who have made outstanding contribution in the field.
"This will also boost their morale and that of the others in the community to aspire to be like them and contribute to strengthening women in the community," Gandhi said.
The selection would be done by a district level committee headed by the District Collector and will include other members like Superintendent of Police, Chief Medical Officer, eminent civil society organisations, etc with the final approval of WCD minsitry.
The ministry will soon provide a checklist to the officials for the selection.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Congress demands Sushma Swaraj's resignation over Lalit Modi's job offer to her husband