Maneka Gandhi announces award for women at grass roots level
New Delhi: Women and Child Development Minister Maneka Gandhi today announced an award for women of each district recognising their contribution towards women`s issues and empowerment at the grass roots level.
The award, comprising a cash prize of Rs 25,000 and a citation, will be given to a girl or woman from each district throughout the country on International Women`s Day, March 8, a statement issued by the ministry said.
"This will help to incentivise the activities undertaken by women at the grass roots level in the direction of community development and nation building. The award will give recognition to women who have made outstanding contribution in the field.
"This will also boost their morale and that of the others in the community to aspire to be like them and contribute to strengthening women in the community," Gandhi said.
The selection would be done by a district level committee headed by the District Collector and will include other members like Superintendent of Police, Chief Medical Officer, eminent civil society organisations, etc with the final approval of WCD minsitry.
The ministry will soon provide a checklist to the officials for the selection.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'