Maneka Gandhi announces award for women at grass roots level
New Delhi: Women and Child Development Minister Maneka Gandhi today announced an award for women of each district recognising their contribution towards women`s issues and empowerment at the grass roots level.
The award, comprising a cash prize of Rs 25,000 and a citation, will be given to a girl or woman from each district throughout the country on International Women`s Day, March 8, a statement issued by the ministry said.
"This will help to incentivise the activities undertaken by women at the grass roots level in the direction of community development and nation building. The award will give recognition to women who have made outstanding contribution in the field.
"This will also boost their morale and that of the others in the community to aspire to be like them and contribute to strengthening women in the community," Gandhi said.
The selection would be done by a district level committee headed by the District Collector and will include other members like Superintendent of Police, Chief Medical Officer, eminent civil society organisations, etc with the final approval of WCD minsitry.
The ministry will soon provide a checklist to the officials for the selection.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Rahul Gandhi received pay while on 56 day leave: Organizer
- Mega sale: Snapdeal, Flipkart, others gear up for festive season
- Zee Media Exclusive: Three Romanians arrested in skimming scam in Mumbai
- Dadri lynching: Azam Khan seeks UN intervention
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country will not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- 'Rahul Gandhi gets pay without work'
- Dadri Police recommends FIR against Mahesh Sharma, Sangeet Som, Naseemuddin Siddiqui