Mangalore air crash: Retd Air Marshal to head panel
New Delhi: Sources said on Thursday that retired Air Marshal Bhushan Nilkanth Gokhale will be heading the panel probing the Mangalore air tragedy and will be submitting his report by August 31.
Meanwhile, Civil Aviation Minister Praful Patel on Thursday said that the government will bring in legislation to strengthen DGCA after the Mangalore plane crash and that a court of inquiry will be set up very soon to probe it.
In the first meeting of the CASAC -Civil Aviation Safety Advisory body after the Mangalore air tragedy that claimed over 150 lives, suggestions were given to improve the airline safety mechanism.
CASAC, which is headed by Director General of Civil Aviation S N A Zaidi, was inaugurated by the Civil Aviation Minister today.
Patel expressed satisfaction that experts from various fields of aviation including pilots, engineers and all other airport operators participated in the exercise.
While talking to reporters, he said that the body will be meeting every month for the first three months and thereafter it will hold sessions once in a quarter.
He also gave assurances that the suggestions will be accorded topmost priority both by the government as well as the DGCA.
Throwing light on the DGCA, the minister remarked that though it had autonomy in its sphere of operation, however, a further boosting of its independent functioning was being considered by the government.
Lauding it, he said that the DGCA complied with all the international civil aviation organisation guidelines and had passed all audits.
Concluding, Patel apprised the media that the new council will also be authorized to get more experts as and when it is required.
In a bid to condole the death of the victims in the Mangalore air crash, he said, “We have had a tragic accident but we should not be now found lacking on any front and we will do all that is necessary….We have to meet challenges of the future and this is a step in that direction.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi