Mangalore air crash: Retd Air Marshal to head panel
New Delhi: Sources said on Thursday that retired Air Marshal Bhushan Nilkanth Gokhale will be heading the panel probing the Mangalore air tragedy and will be submitting his report by August 31.
Meanwhile, Civil Aviation Minister Praful Patel on Thursday said that the government will bring in legislation to strengthen DGCA after the Mangalore plane crash and that a court of inquiry will be set up very soon to probe it.
In the first meeting of the CASAC -Civil Aviation Safety Advisory body after the Mangalore air tragedy that claimed over 150 lives, suggestions were given to improve the airline safety mechanism.
CASAC, which is headed by Director General of Civil Aviation S N A Zaidi, was inaugurated by the Civil Aviation Minister today.
Patel expressed satisfaction that experts from various fields of aviation including pilots, engineers and all other airport operators participated in the exercise.
While talking to reporters, he said that the body will be meeting every month for the first three months and thereafter it will hold sessions once in a quarter.
He also gave assurances that the suggestions will be accorded topmost priority both by the government as well as the DGCA.
Throwing light on the DGCA, the minister remarked that though it had autonomy in its sphere of operation, however, a further boosting of its independent functioning was being considered by the government.
Lauding it, he said that the DGCA complied with all the international civil aviation organisation guidelines and had passed all audits.
Concluding, Patel apprised the media that the new council will also be authorized to get more experts as and when it is required.
In a bid to condole the death of the victims in the Mangalore air crash, he said, “We have had a tragic accident but we should not be now found lacking on any front and we will do all that is necessary….We have to meet challenges of the future and this is a step in that direction.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened