Mani Shankar Aiyar slams Natwar Singh over claims regarding Rajiv Gandhi, IPKF
New Delhi: Congress MP Mani Shankar Aiyar on Saturday slammed former union minister K Natwar Singh over his claim that former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi decided to send the Indian Peace Keeping Force to Sri Lanka without taking his cabinet colleagues into confidence.
Giving the allegory of a blind man touching different parts of an elephant`s body and thinking that the elephant is just like that, Aiyar said "this is what has happened with Natwar".
He said Natwar was only a Minister of State (MoS) at that time suggesting that he may not be aware of lot things happening in the government`s decision-making at the top at that time.
Insisting there is a difference between a decision and a deployment, Aiyar said in an TV interview that the decision to send Indian Peace Keeping Force (IPKF) was taken by Gandhi after there was a call from the then Sri Lankan President J R Jayewardene who was apprehensive that a coup can happen against him on that particular evening itself.
He suggested that in the time between the decision to send the forces and the real time of sending the forces, consultations had taken place.
Aiyar, however, agreed with Natwar`s remarks that Operation Brasstacks, the extensive military exercises, were carried out close to Pakistan border by the Indian Army in 1986 and 1987 without the knowledge of Gandhi.
Aiyar accused the then Minister of State for Defence Arun Singh and Chief of Army Staff Gen Krishnaswamy Sundarji of "betrayal" on the issue.
A Gandhi family loyalist, Aiyar, however, did not find any fault with Rajiv Gandhi over this saying that the then Prime Minister, who was also that time holding the portfolio of Defence Ministry, was aware of Operation Brassstacks being done as an internal defence mechanism but became "a victim of betryal" later the way in which it was carried out provoking "totally unnecessary tension".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state