Mani Shankar Aiyar slams Natwar Singh over claims regarding Rajiv Gandhi, IPKF
New Delhi: Congress MP Mani Shankar Aiyar on Saturday slammed former union minister K Natwar Singh over his claim that former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi decided to send the Indian Peace Keeping Force to Sri Lanka without taking his cabinet colleagues into confidence.
Giving the allegory of a blind man touching different parts of an elephant`s body and thinking that the elephant is just like that, Aiyar said "this is what has happened with Natwar".
He said Natwar was only a Minister of State (MoS) at that time suggesting that he may not be aware of lot things happening in the government`s decision-making at the top at that time.
Insisting there is a difference between a decision and a deployment, Aiyar said in an TV interview that the decision to send Indian Peace Keeping Force (IPKF) was taken by Gandhi after there was a call from the then Sri Lankan President J R Jayewardene who was apprehensive that a coup can happen against him on that particular evening itself.
He suggested that in the time between the decision to send the forces and the real time of sending the forces, consultations had taken place.
Aiyar, however, agreed with Natwar`s remarks that Operation Brasstacks, the extensive military exercises, were carried out close to Pakistan border by the Indian Army in 1986 and 1987 without the knowledge of Gandhi.
Aiyar accused the then Minister of State for Defence Arun Singh and Chief of Army Staff Gen Krishnaswamy Sundarji of "betrayal" on the issue.
A Gandhi family loyalist, Aiyar, however, did not find any fault with Rajiv Gandhi over this saying that the then Prime Minister, who was also that time holding the portfolio of Defence Ministry, was aware of Operation Brassstacks being done as an internal defence mechanism but became "a victim of betryal" later the way in which it was carried out provoking "totally unnecessary tension".
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know