Mani Shanker Aiyar expresses displeasure over Food Bill in present form
New Delhi: Congress leader Mani Shanker Aiyar on Monday expressed strong displeasure over the present form of Food Security Bill, saying the proposed legislation ignores the role of panchayats in Public Distribution System (PDS) and relies more on bureaucracy.
Participating in the debate on the Bill in Rajya Sabha, Aiyar said the Constitution in its eleventh schedule provides that PDS should be brought under the Panchayati Raj System.
He said PDS has been successful only in states where local bodies are prominently involved.
Aiyar said he had written to Food Minister KV Thomas and had even met him on the issue but despite his assurances, the role of local bodies is not clearly defined.
Regretting that "not one comma has been changed" despite his efforts, Aiyar asked Thomas to utilise the opportunity, when the bill was being discussed, to consider provisions which will recognise the role of panchayats and municipalities.
He said civil supplies departments have become "dens of corruption" and involving panchayats is the solution.
He said "continued dependence on bureaucracy" could not give an answer and added that he was saying it as a former bureaucrat himself.
Aiyar said leaving implementation of the PDS under food security to bureaucrats is not desirable.
"However gargantuan the task of procuring, storing, transporting, delivering, if at the last mile there is a bureaucrat responsible and not an elected representative - there is no hope at all," he said.
The views of the Congress leader were often welcomed by opposition members by thumping of desks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India