Manipur activist Sharmila completes 10 years of fasting
Imphal: Civil rights activist Irom Sharmila Chanu completed 10 years of her fast-unto-death on tuesday, demanding withdrawal of the controversial Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA), 1958, from Manipur.
A spokesperson of Sharmila Kanba Lup (Save Sharmila
Committee) said that several social organisations were today
organising sit-in protests in different parts of the state to
show solidarity with Sharmila, who began her fast after 10
civilians were killed in an alleged encounter by Assam
Rifles personnel near Imphal airport.
Rickshaw pullers also took out rallies in support of
A room of J N Hospital where she is being fed through the
nose has been converted into a jail for Sharmila who is now in
- HILARIOUS! How Virender Sehwag trolled birthday boy Rohit Sharma in his inimitable style
- Section 144 imposed in Jind as Jat leaders start 'jail bharo' movement
- PM Narendra Modi salutes 'Shramiks' hard work, determination on Labour Day
- Breathtaking! Salman Khan's 'Sultan' teaser 2 introduces Anushka Sharma as 'Aarfa' – Watch
- Centre declines to share info on bringing back Kohinoor