Manipur-Nagaland highway remains open: Chidambaram
New Delhi: As insurgents of United Naga Council
threatened to block the key Manipur-Nagaland road link, Centre
today informed Parliament that national highway between the
two states is open with trucks plying on it.
"Talks are going on, as we speak, both in Nagaland and
Manipur, and I hope that the blockade in NH-39 will not be
there and trucks will continue to ply," Home Minister P
Chidamabaram told the Rajya Sabha.
He said enough security forces have been positioned and
strict instructions given that the trucks of the Food
Corporation of India carrying foodgrains and of the oil
companies carrying fuel would be plied on the highway.
"Actually, they have been plying until yesterday, they are
plying today and we will ensure that these trucks use NH-39,"
he said during Question Hour.
He said the government was also prepared to provide
security for convoys of private truckers who have complained
Chidambaram said security has also been provided to trucks
on NH-53 which remains open.
A crippling 68-day economic blockade of the Imphal-Dimapur
-Guwahati highway (NH 39) and Imphal-Jiribam-Silchar highway
(NH 53), called by the All-Naga Students Association, Manipur,
had ended on June 18. Due to the blockade, prices of almost
all essential commodities are still ruling high in the
troubled North-Eastern states.
The Home Minister said Manipur Chief Minister called a
meeting with all groups representing the hill districts but
the UNC did not attend it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical