Manipur-Nagaland highway remains open: Chidambaram
New Delhi: As insurgents of United Naga Council
threatened to block the key Manipur-Nagaland road link, Centre
today informed Parliament that national highway between the
two states is open with trucks plying on it.
"Talks are going on, as we speak, both in Nagaland and
Manipur, and I hope that the blockade in NH-39 will not be
there and trucks will continue to ply," Home Minister P
Chidamabaram told the Rajya Sabha.
He said enough security forces have been positioned and
strict instructions given that the trucks of the Food
Corporation of India carrying foodgrains and of the oil
companies carrying fuel would be plied on the highway.
"Actually, they have been plying until yesterday, they are
plying today and we will ensure that these trucks use NH-39,"
he said during Question Hour.
He said the government was also prepared to provide
security for convoys of private truckers who have complained
Chidambaram said security has also been provided to trucks
on NH-53 which remains open.
A crippling 68-day economic blockade of the Imphal-Dimapur
-Guwahati highway (NH 39) and Imphal-Jiribam-Silchar highway
(NH 53), called by the All-Naga Students Association, Manipur,
had ended on June 18. Due to the blockade, prices of almost
all essential commodities are still ruling high in the
troubled North-Eastern states.
The Home Minister said Manipur Chief Minister called a
meeting with all groups representing the hill districts but
the UNC did not attend it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report