Manipur-Nagaland highway remains open: Chidambaram
New Delhi: As insurgents of United Naga Council
threatened to block the key Manipur-Nagaland road link, Centre
today informed Parliament that national highway between the
two states is open with trucks plying on it.
"Talks are going on, as we speak, both in Nagaland and
Manipur, and I hope that the blockade in NH-39 will not be
there and trucks will continue to ply," Home Minister P
Chidamabaram told the Rajya Sabha.
He said enough security forces have been positioned and
strict instructions given that the trucks of the Food
Corporation of India carrying foodgrains and of the oil
companies carrying fuel would be plied on the highway.
"Actually, they have been plying until yesterday, they are
plying today and we will ensure that these trucks use NH-39,"
he said during Question Hour.
He said the government was also prepared to provide
security for convoys of private truckers who have complained
Chidambaram said security has also been provided to trucks
on NH-53 which remains open.
A crippling 68-day economic blockade of the Imphal-Dimapur
-Guwahati highway (NH 39) and Imphal-Jiribam-Silchar highway
(NH 53), called by the All-Naga Students Association, Manipur,
had ended on June 18. Due to the blockade, prices of almost
all essential commodities are still ruling high in the
troubled North-Eastern states.
The Home Minister said Manipur Chief Minister called a
meeting with all groups representing the hill districts but
the UNC did not attend it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Virat Kohli vs Sachin Tendulkar: Who is a better cricketer? Read what Virender Sehwag has to say