Manish Teawri disagrees with Congress` decision on AAP
New Delhi: A day after Congress extended unconditional support to AAP in Delhi, Union minister Manish Tewari disagreed with the party`s stand today, saying it should not have supported the fledgling outfit at all.
"I do not think we should have done it at all... We ruled for 15 years for good, bad or ugly. People have rejected us. We should accept the verdict in all humility," he said, adding that it was time for Congress to introspect.
Tewari, however, stressed that it was his personal opinion and he was not speaking for the party.
Speaking at a debate on an english news channel, he said it was really between BJP and AAP, who have emerged as the two largest parties in Delhi, to find ways to form a government.
He also said time might have come for election funding reforms to account for every rupee political parties receive.
"We (parties) comply with the law as it stands today. Yes if there is a deficiency in law, there is a need that it possibly does not inspire confidence because of its opaqueness, lets go ahead and change the law," he said.
Senior advocate and APP leader Prashant Bhushan accused big national parties of maintaining secrecy about their funding.
He claimed big parties take illegal donations from private firms and then reward them with contracts in states ruled by them.
BJP treasurer Pirush Goyal said right from the candidate fighting the election to hundreds of local units collect money and an auditing is done.
Both Tewari and Goyal said there was no simplistic solution to this complex issue of campaign finance.
Present laws allow parties to not account for donations up to Rs 20,000 and critics say they exploit this provision to pass off large sums of money collected from private companies and others as unaccounted by dividing them into many donations under the limit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy?
- Gal Gadot plays the new DC superhero- 'Wonder Woman'! Watch trailer
- IMF flags decelerating pace of reforms in India; lists six areas for further reforms
- Black with a hint of gold, Sonam Kapoor's debonair suit will win your heart!
- Are you daring enough to visit THIS spooky 'Island of the Dolls'?
- Elvis Presley and Michael Jackson became more popular after death: Amitabh Bachchan