Manish Teawri disagrees with Congress` decision on AAP
New Delhi: A day after Congress extended unconditional support to AAP in Delhi, Union minister Manish Tewari disagreed with the party`s stand today, saying it should not have supported the fledgling outfit at all.
"I do not think we should have done it at all... We ruled for 15 years for good, bad or ugly. People have rejected us. We should accept the verdict in all humility," he said, adding that it was time for Congress to introspect.
Tewari, however, stressed that it was his personal opinion and he was not speaking for the party.
Speaking at a debate on an english news channel, he said it was really between BJP and AAP, who have emerged as the two largest parties in Delhi, to find ways to form a government.
He also said time might have come for election funding reforms to account for every rupee political parties receive.
"We (parties) comply with the law as it stands today. Yes if there is a deficiency in law, there is a need that it possibly does not inspire confidence because of its opaqueness, lets go ahead and change the law," he said.
Senior advocate and APP leader Prashant Bhushan accused big national parties of maintaining secrecy about their funding.
He claimed big parties take illegal donations from private firms and then reward them with contracts in states ruled by them.
BJP treasurer Pirush Goyal said right from the candidate fighting the election to hundreds of local units collect money and an auditing is done.
Both Tewari and Goyal said there was no simplistic solution to this complex issue of campaign finance.
Present laws allow parties to not account for donations up to Rs 20,000 and critics say they exploit this provision to pass off large sums of money collected from private companies and others as unaccounted by dividing them into many donations under the limit.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference