Manish Tewari apologises to Anna Hazare
New Delhi: Congress spokesperson Manish Tewari on Thursday regretted his remarks against civil rights activist Anna Hazare.
"I know some of my recent utterances have hurt Mr Hazare. I regret the same and I would like to appeal to him as a citizen of this country to end his fast," Tewari said here.
"In the course of political cut and thrust, certain things are inadvertently said which cause pain," he said.
I am concerned about his health, added Tewari, who had levelled allegations against Hazare.
In a scathing attack on Hazare, Tewari had on August 14 alleged that Justice PB Sawant Commission report had ripped apart the "moral core" of the activist as it "found him steeped in corruption from head to toe".
He had also alleged that Team Anna comprised "armchair fascists, overground Maoists, closet anarchists funded by invisible donors".
A petition has been filed in a local court accusing Tewari of "defaming" activist Anna Hazare and hurting the sentiments of Gandhians in the country.
Also, with bouquets and flowers, protesters thronged Tewari`s residence in Sarabha Nagar on Tuesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video