Manish Tewari apologises to Anna Hazare
New Delhi: Congress spokesperson Manish Tewari on Thursday regretted his remarks against civil rights activist Anna Hazare.
"I know some of my recent utterances have hurt Mr Hazare. I regret the same and I would like to appeal to him as a citizen of this country to end his fast," Tewari said here.
"In the course of political cut and thrust, certain things are inadvertently said which cause pain," he said.
I am concerned about his health, added Tewari, who had levelled allegations against Hazare.
In a scathing attack on Hazare, Tewari had on August 14 alleged that Justice PB Sawant Commission report had ripped apart the "moral core" of the activist as it "found him steeped in corruption from head to toe".
He had also alleged that Team Anna comprised "armchair fascists, overground Maoists, closet anarchists funded by invisible donors".
A petition has been filed in a local court accusing Tewari of "defaming" activist Anna Hazare and hurting the sentiments of Gandhians in the country.
Also, with bouquets and flowers, protesters thronged Tewari`s residence in Sarabha Nagar on Tuesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29