Manish Tewari apologises to Anna Hazare
New Delhi: Congress spokesperson Manish Tewari on Thursday regretted his remarks against civil rights activist Anna Hazare.
"I know some of my recent utterances have hurt Mr Hazare. I regret the same and I would like to appeal to him as a citizen of this country to end his fast," Tewari said here.
"In the course of political cut and thrust, certain things are inadvertently said which cause pain," he said.
I am concerned about his health, added Tewari, who had levelled allegations against Hazare.
In a scathing attack on Hazare, Tewari had on August 14 alleged that Justice PB Sawant Commission report had ripped apart the "moral core" of the activist as it "found him steeped in corruption from head to toe".
He had also alleged that Team Anna comprised "armchair fascists, overground Maoists, closet anarchists funded by invisible donors".
A petition has been filed in a local court accusing Tewari of "defaming" activist Anna Hazare and hurting the sentiments of Gandhians in the country.
Also, with bouquets and flowers, protesters thronged Tewari`s residence in Sarabha Nagar on Tuesday.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Trinamool Congress activist was part of Pak ISI spy ring?
- Bigg Boss: When Kriti Sanon played Aishwarya Rai’s part to romance Salman Khan
- Media house attacked over derogatory cartoon in Maharashtra