Manish Tewari gives written apology to Anna
New Delhi: Nearly a month after he made derogatory remarks against the Gandhian Anna Hazare, outspoken Congress MP and spokesperson Manish Tewari on Wednesday tendered a written apology to the social activist.
Tewari regretted in writing for making derogatory remarks against the iconic Gandhian, reports say.
Tewari`s written apology came in response to a legal defamation notice sent by Hazare`s Pune-based lawyer Milind Pawar.
In a written communication addressed to Hazare, the copy of which was released by Pawar, Tewari said that he had already expressed his regrets on the issue on August 25, while urging the anti-corruption crusader to withdraw his fast at Ramlila Maidan.
"I do not stand on any prestige or ego, especially when it comes to giving due regard and respect to people elder to me in age. In all sincerity, I reiterate my regrets," Tewari was quoted as saying.
"I do not wish to give legal responses or want this matter to be prolonged. I hope you would treat the matter as closed," he added.
Advocate Pawar, who had slapped legal notice on Tewari under Section 500 of IPC for defamation proceeding, said that in view of the Congress spokesman`s written apology, Hazare had decided to close the matter.
Ahead of Hazare’s August 16 fast, Tewari had criticised him saying he was "involved in corruption from top to bottom."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack