Manish Tewari to stay in Lokpal committee
New Delhi: In a surprise decision, the Congress party, Friday, decided to retain the same panel for the Lokpal standing committee. Party spokesperson Manish Tiwari, who had recused himself from the committee, would continue to be a member.
Tewari quit the panel in view of the controversy he kicked up by accusing Anna Hazare of corruption. He had later apologized for his remarks.
“I am all for a strong and effective Lokpal. I do not
want any controversy to cast a shadow on the deliberations of
this important bill. I, therefore, recuse myself from the
Standing Committee," Tewari had said.
The members of Standing Committees are appointed by Lok Sabha Speaker and Chairman of Rajya Sabha on the recommendations of political parties.
Senior Congress leader Abhsihek Manu Singhvi would continue as the chairman of the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Personnel, Public Grievances, Law and Justice committee, which is looking into the Lokpal Bill.
The next meeting of the
Committee is scheduled to take place on September 7. The 31-member panel is being reconstituted – its term ended on August 31 - with various parties nominating their members.
Two days before Hazare was due to commence his fast in
Delhi on August 16, the activist was targeted by the Congress
spokesperson for the first time when Tewari cited Sawant
Commission report and accused him of being "steeped in
corruption from head to toe".
A few days back, Tewari, however, apologised for
levelling allegations against Hazare and appealed to the
Gandhian to call off his fast.
But the apology by the Congress MP from Punjab did not
cut much ice with Hazare since the anti-corruption crusader`s
lawyer Milind Pawar said a case of defamation would be filed
against Tewari in a Pune court next week.
"I know some of my recent utterances have caused hurt to
Mr Hazare. I regret the same and I would like to appeal to him
as a citizen of this country to end his fast...In the course
of political cut and thrust, certain things are inadvertently
said which cause pain," he had said.
Tewari, while going ballistic against Hazare, had
earlier also said that Team Anna comprised "armchair fascists,
overground Maoists, closet anarchists funded by invisible
donors". Tewari`s comments had evoked strong reactions from
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof