Manish Tiwari hits out at Narendra Modi
New Delhi: In a sharp attack on Narendra Modi for his letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Sir Creek issue, Congress today alleged the Gujarat Chief Minister was resorting to "shallow and superficial politicking" to shore up his "faltering" political fortunes.
"It is most unfortunate that the Chief Minister of Gujarat has stooped to the extent of creating a fictitious issue to shore up his faltering political fortures," Information and Broadcasting Minister Manish Tewari told a news agency.
He said "matters which have a bearing on national security need to be articulated with a modicum of responsibility and gravitas. We do hope the people of Gujarat would see through this shallow and superficial politicking which does not even spare matters of strategic importance."
The Prime Minister`s Office today rubbished Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi`s claim that Sir Creek was being "handed over" to Pakistan, saying the "baseless charges" were "mischievous" and motives questionable as these came on the eve of polls in the state.
Responding to a letter written by Modi to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, the PMO dubbed as "unsubstantiated allegations" its contents about discussions with Pakistan on the Sir Creek issue.
Expressing apprehensions just ahead of Pakistan Interior Minister Rehman Malik`s visit to India on December 14 to discuss a range of bilateral issues, Modi, in his letter to the Prime Minister, said Sir Creek, a marshy land in Gujarat, should "not be handed over to Pakistan" and talks on this issue should be stopped.
Union Minister and Congress leader Rajiv Shukla said it is "very mischievous" on the part of the Chief Minister to "stoop to such level of politics".
"There is no question of giving the land to Pakistan and there is no such proposal," he said.
He added that in a bid to take advantage in elections, Modi is trying to resort to "all sorts of lies".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Puducherry: Narayanasamy to meet Lt Gov Kiran Bedi today, stake claim to form govt
- Armed squad kills 11 people in Venezuela: Official
- Khalistan terror camp running in Canada to attack Punjab; Justin Trudeau govt alerted
- Barack Obama could be Hillary's secret weapon in rallying Democratic support: Report
- Man arrested for trying to sell stolen car on e-commerce site