Manish Tiwari hits out at Narendra Modi
New Delhi: In a sharp attack on Narendra Modi for his letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Sir Creek issue, Congress today alleged the Gujarat Chief Minister was resorting to "shallow and superficial politicking" to shore up his "faltering" political fortunes.
"It is most unfortunate that the Chief Minister of Gujarat has stooped to the extent of creating a fictitious issue to shore up his faltering political fortures," Information and Broadcasting Minister Manish Tewari told a news agency.
He said "matters which have a bearing on national security need to be articulated with a modicum of responsibility and gravitas. We do hope the people of Gujarat would see through this shallow and superficial politicking which does not even spare matters of strategic importance."
The Prime Minister`s Office today rubbished Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi`s claim that Sir Creek was being "handed over" to Pakistan, saying the "baseless charges" were "mischievous" and motives questionable as these came on the eve of polls in the state.
Responding to a letter written by Modi to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, the PMO dubbed as "unsubstantiated allegations" its contents about discussions with Pakistan on the Sir Creek issue.
Expressing apprehensions just ahead of Pakistan Interior Minister Rehman Malik`s visit to India on December 14 to discuss a range of bilateral issues, Modi, in his letter to the Prime Minister, said Sir Creek, a marshy land in Gujarat, should "not be handed over to Pakistan" and talks on this issue should be stopped.
Union Minister and Congress leader Rajiv Shukla said it is "very mischievous" on the part of the Chief Minister to "stoop to such level of politics".
"There is no question of giving the land to Pakistan and there is no such proposal," he said.
He added that in a bid to take advantage in elections, Modi is trying to resort to "all sorts of lies".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened