Manish Tiwari hits out at Narendra Modi
New Delhi: In a sharp attack on Narendra Modi for his letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Sir Creek issue, Congress today alleged the Gujarat Chief Minister was resorting to "shallow and superficial politicking" to shore up his "faltering" political fortunes.
"It is most unfortunate that the Chief Minister of Gujarat has stooped to the extent of creating a fictitious issue to shore up his faltering political fortures," Information and Broadcasting Minister Manish Tewari told a news agency.
He said "matters which have a bearing on national security need to be articulated with a modicum of responsibility and gravitas. We do hope the people of Gujarat would see through this shallow and superficial politicking which does not even spare matters of strategic importance."
The Prime Minister`s Office today rubbished Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi`s claim that Sir Creek was being "handed over" to Pakistan, saying the "baseless charges" were "mischievous" and motives questionable as these came on the eve of polls in the state.
Responding to a letter written by Modi to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, the PMO dubbed as "unsubstantiated allegations" its contents about discussions with Pakistan on the Sir Creek issue.
Expressing apprehensions just ahead of Pakistan Interior Minister Rehman Malik`s visit to India on December 14 to discuss a range of bilateral issues, Modi, in his letter to the Prime Minister, said Sir Creek, a marshy land in Gujarat, should "not be handed over to Pakistan" and talks on this issue should be stopped.
Union Minister and Congress leader Rajiv Shukla said it is "very mischievous" on the part of the Chief Minister to "stoop to such level of politics".
"There is no question of giving the land to Pakistan and there is no such proposal," he said.
He added that in a bid to take advantage in elections, Modi is trying to resort to "all sorts of lies".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire