Manmohan Singh arrives in Tehran for NAM summit
Tehran: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh arrived here on Tuesday to attend the 16th NAM summit on a visit that will also see him holding bilateral talks with the top Iranian leadership and Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari.
On his arrival here, Singh was received by Iran`s Minister of Finance, Shamseddin Hosseini.
The visit is the first in a decade to Iran by an Indian Prime Minister after Atal Bihari Vajpayee visited the country in 2001.
On the sidelines of the summit of 120 non-aligned nations, Singh will also hold meetings with the Iranian leadership, including Iran`s supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei and President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and will review bilateral relations.
Singh`s bilateral meetings with Khamenei and Ahmadinejad assume significance as they will take place at a time when the US is pushing India to reduce engagement with Iran and implement sanctions imposed by some countries over its controversial nuclear programme.
He will also hold meetings with Zardari and Egypt`s first civilian President, Mohammed Mursi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Two ISIS operatives, planning to target religious places, arrested by Gujarat ATS