Manmohan Singh backs Sonia Gandhi, says no files were sent to 10 Janpath
Zee Media Bureau/Deepak Nagpal
New Delhi: Former prime minister Manmohan Singh on Thursday came out in defence of Sonia Gandhi after former union minister Natwar Singh made a series of “disclosures” on the Congress president.
Manmohan dubbed the allegations made by Natwar Singh as false, and refuted his claim that important files from the PMO used to be sent to Sonia Gandhi.
In an interview to an English news channel, Natwar Singh had backed the recent claim of Manmohan Singh`s former media adviser Sanjaya Baru that important government files were taken to Sonia Gandhi by Pulok Chatterjee, who was in the PMO.
Natwar Singh is soon coming out with his autobiography titled "One Life is Not Enough: An Autobiography".
The former PM had an advice for Natwar Singh: “Some conversations that take place in private shouldn`t be used for commercial purpose.”
Shortly before Manmohan reacted to Natwar Singh`s claims, Sonia Gandhi told Zee News that the truth will come out when she will write a book.
“When I will write my own book, then the truth will come out,” Sonia said, commenting on former external affairs minister`s allegations.
“What can I say when asked, are you hurt? I have seen my husband getting assassinated... my mother-in-law getting killed by bullets. Lot many people say many things about us,” she told Zee News.
Singh (83), an estranged Gandhi family friend who quit the Congress in 2008 after he had to resign from the UPA-I government in 2005 in the wake of the Iraqi food-for-oil scam, has claimed that it was not Sonia`s "inner voice" that prevented her, as she had stated at the time, to take up the PM`s post
Singh further claimed in the interview that to persuade him from not referring to this particular episode in his soon-to-be-released autobiography, the Congress president along with her daughter Priyanka Gandhi met him on May 7 at his residence but he decided to disclose the facts as they were and tell the "truth".
"Rahul was totally against her mother becoming Prime Minister. He said she would be killed like his father and grandmother and as a son he would not allow to become the PM. He was very adamant," Singh said, recalling a May 18, 2004 meeting where Manmohan Singh, Gandhi family friend Suman Dubey, Priyanka and he were present. Manmohan Singh later went on to become the prime minister.
Rahul`s opposition was conveyed to them by Priyanka, he said.
(With agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22