Manmohan Singh congratulates Nawaz Sharif, invites him to India
New Delhi: Congratulating PML-N chief Nawaz Sharif who is poised to return to power in Pakistan, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Sunday expressed India`s desire to work with the new government in the neighbouring country. He also invited Sharif to visit India.
"PM extends his congratulations to Mr Nawaz Sharif and his party for their emphatic victory in Pakistan`s elections," the Prime Minister`s Office tweeted as it congratulated the people and the political parties of Pakistan for "braving the threats of violence and voting in large numbers".
"PM expressed India`s desire to work with the new government of Pakistan in charting a new course for the relationship between the two countries," said another tweet.
The prime minister, in another post invited Sharif "to visit India at a mutually convenient time".
Nawaz Sharif was poised to return to power after a 14-year hiatus as results of the National Assembly elections started trickling in and his Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) led in the elections by a big margin over other rivals.
The country of 180 million which has faced a string of terror attacks has defied Taliban diktat and bombings, as unfazed voters came out to cast their vote Saturday, recording a 60 percent turnout.
Sharif has served as the country`s prime minister for two non-consecutive terms from November 1990 to July 1993 and from February 1997 to October 1999. However, his both governments were dismissed before completing their constitutional term.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’