Manmohan Singh first PM outside Nehru-Gandhi clan to hoist flag for 10th time
New Delhi: Manmohan Singh on Thursday became the first Prime Minister outside the Gandhi-Nehru family to unfurl the national tri-colour from the ramparts of the Red Fort for the 10th time.
Only Jawaharlal Nehru and his daughter Indira Gandhi have hoisted the flag more than 10 times at the Red Fort.
Nehru had hoisted the national flag 17 consecutive times while Indira Gandhi got the honour 16 times. Gandhi had unfurled the flag 11 consecutive times between 1966 and 1977.
Singh, who assumed office on May 22, 2009 for the second consecutive term, already has the distinction of being the third longest serving prime minister after Nehru and Gandhi.
Singh`s predecessor Atal Bihari Vajpayee had unfurled the tricolour from the Red Fort six consecutive times from 1998 to 2003.
Singh, the country`s 14th Prime Minister, first hoisted the tricolour on August 15, 2004, nearly four months after he assumed office in May.
Nehru was the first prime minister to unfurl the flag from the ramparts of the 17th century Mughal monument on August 15, 1947 after India became independent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi