Manmohan Singh first PM outside Nehru-Gandhi clan to hoist flag for 10th time
New Delhi: Manmohan Singh on Thursday became the first Prime Minister outside the Gandhi-Nehru family to unfurl the national tri-colour from the ramparts of the Red Fort for the 10th time.
Only Jawaharlal Nehru and his daughter Indira Gandhi have hoisted the flag more than 10 times at the Red Fort.
Nehru had hoisted the national flag 17 consecutive times while Indira Gandhi got the honour 16 times. Gandhi had unfurled the flag 11 consecutive times between 1966 and 1977.
Singh, who assumed office on May 22, 2009 for the second consecutive term, already has the distinction of being the third longest serving prime minister after Nehru and Gandhi.
Singh`s predecessor Atal Bihari Vajpayee had unfurled the tricolour from the Red Fort six consecutive times from 1998 to 2003.
Singh, the country`s 14th Prime Minister, first hoisted the tricolour on August 15, 2004, nearly four months after he assumed office in May.
Nehru was the first prime minister to unfurl the flag from the ramparts of the 17th century Mughal monument on August 15, 1947 after India became independent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed