Manmohan Singh greets new Lok Sabha Speaker
New Delhi: Former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh today congratulated Sumitra Mahajan for being elected as the Lok Sabha Speaker and said it was her "proud privilege" to preside over the House to which she has given so much for so long.
Singh sent a letter to Mahajan to convey his greetings and extend his best wishes to her. "Please accept my heartiest congratulations on your election to the prestigious post of the Speaker of Lok Sabha. You earn the distinction of being the second woman to reach this exalted position," he said.
"You have given so much to this august House (Lok Sabha) and for so long. Now it is your proud privilege to preside over it," the Congress leader wrote to the eight-time BJP MP.
Extending his best wishes, he said, "May your rich experience, ability and indomitable spirit help you to discharge the duties with success."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown