Manmohan Singh hasty in inviting Nawaz Sharif: BJP
New Delhi: A day after Prime Minister Manmohan Singh invited Nawaz Sharif to India, Bharatiya Janata Party questioned why government was in a hurry to invite the Pakistani leader who is set to lead the country for the third time.
"The prime minister has been in too much of a haste to invite Mr Nawaz Sharif. In fact, we should have waited to see what changes come about in Pakistan`s attitude towards India and if there were some positive signs, surely he would have invited him," said BJP vice president Balbir Punj.
He also noted that Sharif was yet to take over as the prime minister.
"It is too early and in fact it doesn`t make much sense to invite him even before he had been sworn in," he said.
Congratulating Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz chief Nawaz Sharif, Manmohan Singh Sunday expressed India`s desire to work with the new government in the neighbouring country and also invited Sharif to visit India.
Sharif also said Monday said he will invite the Indian prime minister to Pakistan for his oath-taking ceremony.
The BJP had Sunday hailed the democratic transition in neighbouring Pakistan, expressing hope that the new regime there would strengthen the process of improving ties with India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- LIVE: Jallikattu protests turn violent, vehicles near Ice House Police station set on fire
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog