Manmohan Singh hasty in inviting Nawaz Sharif: BJP
New Delhi: A day after Prime Minister Manmohan Singh invited Nawaz Sharif to India, Bharatiya Janata Party questioned why government was in a hurry to invite the Pakistani leader who is set to lead the country for the third time.
"The prime minister has been in too much of a haste to invite Mr Nawaz Sharif. In fact, we should have waited to see what changes come about in Pakistan`s attitude towards India and if there were some positive signs, surely he would have invited him," said BJP vice president Balbir Punj.
He also noted that Sharif was yet to take over as the prime minister.
"It is too early and in fact it doesn`t make much sense to invite him even before he had been sworn in," he said.
Congratulating Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz chief Nawaz Sharif, Manmohan Singh Sunday expressed India`s desire to work with the new government in the neighbouring country and also invited Sharif to visit India.
Sharif also said Monday said he will invite the Indian prime minister to Pakistan for his oath-taking ceremony.
The BJP had Sunday hailed the democratic transition in neighbouring Pakistan, expressing hope that the new regime there would strengthen the process of improving ties with India.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India