Manmohan Singh is above several Prime Ministers: Swraj Paul
New Delhi: Throwing his weight behind Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, UK-based NRI industrialist Lord Swraj Paul on Friday termed him "above several Prime Ministers of this country" and a man who works "very hard".
Lord Paul, who is the Chancellor of two leading British Universities, was speaking at an Assocham and Rai Foundation event in honour of Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) President L Rafael Reif here.
"I know that you (Reif) are likely to see the Prime Minister (Manmohan Singh) either tomorrow or today. You will find him a great man, who has worked very hard and perhaps is above several Prime Minister(s) of this country," he said.
Lord Paul, who leads the UK-based diversified Caparo Group, is the Chancellor of Wolverhampton and Westminster Universities.
Welcoming Reif, Lord Paul said: "You can`t be in a more hospitable country in this world... I am glad you are here and you just told me that this is your first visit abroad after becoming the President (of MIT), you couldn`t come to a better country."
He said Indians are proud of the fact that they have brought high laurels for the country in different parts of the world like the US and Europe.
"India has lot of talent. India has lot of opportunities. And one thing great (is that) the Indians have ability to deliver what lot of world desires... A great thing is even India had to discover the Indians from the United States and from abroad," Lord Paul said.
He further exuded confidence that India has a bright future.
"India has a great future. We just find that we have to get our act together here," he added.
Speaking on the occasion, Science and Technology Minister S Jaipal Reddy said: "We Indians, our Ministry in particular, are very eager to start contact with MIT for higher research."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past