Manmohan Singh shouldn`t hold talks with Sharif in US: BJP
New Delhi: In the wake of killing of five Indian jawans at the LoC on Tuesday, BJP has suggested Prime Minister Manmohan Singh should not hold bilateral talks with his Pakistan counterpart Nawaz Sharif during his forthcoming visit to the US for United Nations General Assembly meeting.
Strongly condemning the attack at the LoC, BJP leader Yashwant Sinha told reporters that "there should be no talks with Pakistan until they keep the assurance given to Atal Bihari Vajpayee on January 6, 2004. There should be no talks at any level, especially at the level of the Prime Minister."
He underlined Manmohan Singh should not hold talks with Sharif during his forthcoming visit to the US for the United Nations General Assembly meeting.
India and Pakistan had signed an accord in January 2004 in which the latter promised not to allow its soil to be used for terror activities against India.
"We have been confused about talks and war. There is a huge space between talks and war," Sinha said, adding this space has not been used by Indian government.
Referring to Defence Minister A K Antony`s statement in Parliament today, BJP said it is a matter of concern that there has been an 80 per cent increase in infiltration across LoC and there were 57 ceasefire violations in the last six months alone.
BJP said government should order Indian forces to retaliate when such attacks take place in future. "There is nothing worse than tying their hands and making them take bullets," Sinha said.
"Pakistan has been openly flouting the ceasefire agreement and now even the fig leaf has gone. Why does Indian government not take this up with Pakistan through diplomatic channels?" Sinha said.
He maintained that instead of the government calling Pakistan`s Deputy High Commissioner to register its protest against the killing of five India soldiers, the Pakistan High Commissioner should have been asked to present himself before the Indian Foreign Secretary.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Five simple tips to eat healthy!