Manmohan Singh shouldn`t hold talks with Sharif in US: BJP
New Delhi: In the wake of killing of five Indian jawans at the LoC on Tuesday, BJP has suggested Prime Minister Manmohan Singh should not hold bilateral talks with his Pakistan counterpart Nawaz Sharif during his forthcoming visit to the US for United Nations General Assembly meeting.
Strongly condemning the attack at the LoC, BJP leader Yashwant Sinha told reporters that "there should be no talks with Pakistan until they keep the assurance given to Atal Bihari Vajpayee on January 6, 2004. There should be no talks at any level, especially at the level of the Prime Minister."
He underlined Manmohan Singh should not hold talks with Sharif during his forthcoming visit to the US for the United Nations General Assembly meeting.
India and Pakistan had signed an accord in January 2004 in which the latter promised not to allow its soil to be used for terror activities against India.
"We have been confused about talks and war. There is a huge space between talks and war," Sinha said, adding this space has not been used by Indian government.
Referring to Defence Minister A K Antony`s statement in Parliament today, BJP said it is a matter of concern that there has been an 80 per cent increase in infiltration across LoC and there were 57 ceasefire violations in the last six months alone.
BJP said government should order Indian forces to retaliate when such attacks take place in future. "There is nothing worse than tying their hands and making them take bullets," Sinha said.
"Pakistan has been openly flouting the ceasefire agreement and now even the fig leaf has gone. Why does Indian government not take this up with Pakistan through diplomatic channels?" Sinha said.
He maintained that instead of the government calling Pakistan`s Deputy High Commissioner to register its protest against the killing of five India soldiers, the Pakistan High Commissioner should have been asked to present himself before the Indian Foreign Secretary.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why