Manmohan Singh`s immunity issue looked at in human rights case in US
Washington: A US court has asked the Department of Justice to respond by July 10 on the immunity issue of former prime minister Manmohan Singh in a human rights violation case filed by a New York-based Sikh group.
The Department of Justice had recently informed the Washington Federal Court that Singh as the prime minister had immunity in the US.
But the Sikh for Justice (SFJ) group in response claimed that now that Singh is no longer the prime minister of the country, he does not carry immunity.
"Suing human rights violators in the US Courts is not a detrimental to the US Foreign Policy as portrayed by the Department of Justice in `Suggestion of Immunity`, rather it promotes the US agenda of respect for human rights," said Attorney Gurpatwant Singh Pannun, legal advisor to SFJ.
The court has asked the Department of Justice to respond by July 10 on the immunity issue of Singh, court documents said.
The June 20 order of the Washington Court had granted rights group till August 18 to complete the service of outstanding summons on Singh.
A Washington Court last September had issued summons against Singh, at the time of his Washington trip to meet US President Barack Obama.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400