Manmohan wanted to do a lot but `super PMs` stopped him: Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi
New Delhi: In a comment loaded with sarcasm, BJP on Monday said former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had wanted to do a lot of things during his tenure but "so many super PMs" had prevented him, triggering protests from Congress members.
Participating in a debate on price rise in Rajya Sabha, BJP leader Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi said the NDA government has inherited a legacy of inflation and the nation was debt-ridden to the extent of Rs 25,000.
He termed the previous UPA government as one of corruption, scams and unchecked inflation.
While taking digs at the former government, Naqvi referred to Manmohan Singh who was present in the House and said he had wanted to do a lot but "there were so many super PMs" that he could not do anything.
This drew angry protests by members including former Commerce and Industries Minister Anand Sharma.
He said the government is committed to check prise rise and unlike in the past, it immediately accepted the demand for discussion on it.
The "good days" are bound to come with a score of measures being initiated by the new government and "bad days" were in store for power brokers, black-marketeers and hoarders, Naqvi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi