Manmohan, Zardari to have one-on-one meeting
New Delhi: Visiting Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari will hold a one-on-one meeting with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Sunday at 7, Race Course Road, before the two leaders sit down for lunch, reports said on Saturday.
No customary note-takers of the Pakistani President would be present inside the room during the meeting.
Highly placed sources in the government have informed that it was done at the insistence of New Delhi to which Islamabad has agreed.
After the talks, no formal statements are likely to be made by both leaders and neither are any agreements likely to be announced. The action will be mostly behind the scenes, sources said.
This opens up the possibility for a more candid conversation, government sources reportedly said.
Zardari is expected to press Singh to visit Pakistan, reports said.
The last time Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had one-one-one talks with Pakistani Prime Minister Yousaf Raza Gilani in the idyllic Addu island in the Maldives.
Zardari is scheduled to reach here at 11.30 am. After touching down in his special aircraft, he will head straight to the Prime Minister`s official residence.
Parliamentary Affairs Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal will also attend the lunch among others. Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi may also be invited for the lunch, reports said.
In the first presidential visit from Pakistan in the last 7 years, Zardari will be accompanied by a 40-member delegation. The delegation comprises Interior Minister Rehman Malik, Foreign Minister Hina Rabbani Khar, son Bilawal Bhutto Zardari, senior officials of the Presidency and a media contingent.
After the lunch, Zardari and his team are scheduled to leave for Ajmer to pay obeisance at shrine of Khwaja Moinuddin Chishti.
The delegation will return to Islamabad on Sunday evening from Jaipur.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’