Manner of land acquisition in WB a mistake: Amartya Sen
Kolkata: Despite the "overwhelming" need for industry in West Bengal, the manner in which the state government acquired land for the purpose was a "mistake," Nobel laureate economist Amartya Sen has said.
"There is an overwhelming need for industry so that this poor state can flourish again. (But) The way that land was acquired was a mistake. If one needs industry, there has to be land, but acquisition of land should have been the last resort," Sen said at an interaction after the 3rd Annual Penguin Lecture here last evening.
Sen said the results of the Lok Sabha election had
vindicated the fact that there had been some agitation among
the people over the government`s policy of land acquisition
Without naming any party, the economist said the
opponents of land acquisition, however, would have to
understand that reduction of poverty could not be achieved by
agriculture alone. "This (agriculture) has to go hand in hand
He said while there were unwilling land losers, there
were others who lost the opportunity of being employed in
industry. "The question is about bringing this to public
The state had witnessed a large-scale agitation over
land acquisition in Singur for the Tata`s Nano car project.
The unit was later shifted to Gujarat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door