Manner of land acquisition in WB a mistake: Amartya Sen
Kolkata: Despite the "overwhelming" need for industry in West Bengal, the manner in which the state government acquired land for the purpose was a "mistake," Nobel laureate economist Amartya Sen has said.
"There is an overwhelming need for industry so that this poor state can flourish again. (But) The way that land was acquired was a mistake. If one needs industry, there has to be land, but acquisition of land should have been the last resort," Sen said at an interaction after the 3rd Annual Penguin Lecture here last evening.
Sen said the results of the Lok Sabha election had
vindicated the fact that there had been some agitation among
the people over the government`s policy of land acquisition
Without naming any party, the economist said the
opponents of land acquisition, however, would have to
understand that reduction of poverty could not be achieved by
agriculture alone. "This (agriculture) has to go hand in hand
He said while there were unwilling land losers, there
were others who lost the opportunity of being employed in
industry. "The question is about bringing this to public
The state had witnessed a large-scale agitation over
land acquisition in Singur for the Tata`s Nano car project.
The unit was later shifted to Gujarat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE