Manohar Parrikar takes a sarcastic dig at Digvijay Singh
Panaji: Known for baiting the opposition, Congress leader Digvijay Singh on Tuesday was at the receiving end of a compliment as well as a sarcastic barb by Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar.
Speaking at a function here organised by the ministry of civil aviation, Parrikar said that compared to Goa`s Congress Members of Parliament (MPs), the former chief minister of Madhya Pradesh had much more clout "in the corridors of power".
"We all know how much influence you wield in the corridors of power in Delhi, even more than our MPs," Parrikar said seeking intervention of the All India Congress Committee (AICC) secretary-in-charge of Goa to force the Indian Navy to cede 20 acres of land for the expansion of the civil airport.
The airport in Goa is controlled by the Indian Navy -- and the state government and the defence force have been at loggerhead over sharing of land for the already clogged airport.
"May be Digvijay Singh-ji can do what our MPs could not," Parrikar said to the Congressman known for his links to the powerful Gandhi family.
Earlier, the duo, who have sparred over each other`s political affiliations, barely shook hands before they took their seats on the dais for the formal function.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Eight police killed in southeast Turkey car bomb attack: Report
- AAP 'intentionally' framed Punjab chief Chhotepur before expelling him: Dharamvira Gandhi
- Juno probe to make its closest approach to Jupiter tomorrow!
- SHOCKING! Diego Maradona claims Lionel Messi 'staged' international retirement - Here's why
- Marijuana compound may improve night vision