Manu Sharma donated Rs 50 lakh: Church priest
Chandigarh: Siddhartha Vashishta alias Manu
Sharma, serving life term in Tihar jail for killing ramp model
Jessica Lall in 1999, has donated Rs 50 lakh for the poor and
handicapped, a church priest said here today.
"Manu Sharma made a generous donation of Rs 50 lakh for
the poor and handicapped staying in a home run by Missionaries
of Charity in Chandigarh," Thomas Anchanikal, parish priest of
Christ the King Cathedral here, told PTI by telephone.
"We remain grateful to you for your generous donation of
Rs 50 lakh...we wish you all the best for your humanitarian
activities," Anchanikal said in a letter to Manu, son of
Congress leader and party MLA from Ambala Venod Sharma.
Manu Sharma also sponsored the community lunch at the
Cathedral on the occasion of Christmas
"The office-bearers of the church extend a warm thanks to
Manu Sharma for his gesture," a church representative, Anil
Ghazan, said in a signed statement here.
When asked if the Cathedral or the Missionaries of
Charity would accept donations from other convicts charged
with serious crimes, Father Anchanikal said "I don`t think
there is a problem when the man is trying to reform himself
and repents what he has done."
On November 16, the Delhi High Court had granted five
days parole to Sharma after allowing his plea to attend his
younger brother`s marriage and related functions in Karnal,
Ambala and Chandigarh.
Sharma was awarded life imprisonment by the Delhi High
Court in December 2006 for shooting dead Jessica during a late
night party in South Delhi in 1999.
The life term was upheld by the Supreme Court last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends