Many BJP leaders capable of becoming PM: Sinha
New Delhi: Amid a Modi-versus-Advani debate,
senior BJP leader Yashwant Sinha has said there are many
"capable" Prime Ministerial candidates in the party, including
himself, but a decision on whether or not to project anybody
would be taken close to the Lok Sabha elections only.
Sinha also sought to downplay the reports of differences
between BJP leader L K Advani and Gujarat Chief Minister
"It`s merely a media creation and nobody is talking so
within the BJP," the former Union Minister told PTI on the
reported tussle between Advani and Modi because of their
perceived ambitions for Prime Ministership.
"Since, the debate within Congress is gaining ground that
AICC General Secretary Rahul Gandhi could take over the mantle
from Prime Minister Manmohan Singh before completion of the
present term of UPA ministry, media, in a balancing act, has
created similar plot in the BJP too," he said.
Asked whether Advani or Modi was a better candidate for
Prime Ministership, Sinha shot back, saying there are many
leaders in the BJP capable of occupying the PM`s post.
He, however, did not identify any of them.
On whether he could also be a candidate, the former
Finance Minister said, "Why not. Does anybody have doubt on my
He said the party would decide close to the elections who
should be projected as the Prime Ministerial candidate or
whether or not anybody should be projected at all.
When pointed out that Advani`s Jan rath yatra was seen as
linked to his Prime Ministerial ambitions, Sinha sought to
emphasise that the two were not linked.
Describing the yatra as a political movement against
corruption, he said it should not be seen from narrow prism of
"Modi-versus-Advani" fight for Prime Ministership.
He also supported the timing of the launch of the yatra,
which began from Loknayak Jayprakash Narayan`s native place in
Sitabdiara in Bihar.
"The timing and venue for the start of Jan rath yatra
from Sitabdiara of Advaniji is perfectly timed," Sinha said,
adding there could not have been any other auspicious date
than JP`s birth anniversary for launching the campaign like
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!