Many BJP leaders capable of becoming PM: Sinha
New Delhi: Amid a Modi-versus-Advani debate,
senior BJP leader Yashwant Sinha has said there are many
"capable" Prime Ministerial candidates in the party, including
himself, but a decision on whether or not to project anybody
would be taken close to the Lok Sabha elections only.
Sinha also sought to downplay the reports of differences
between BJP leader L K Advani and Gujarat Chief Minister
"It`s merely a media creation and nobody is talking so
within the BJP," the former Union Minister told PTI on the
reported tussle between Advani and Modi because of their
perceived ambitions for Prime Ministership.
"Since, the debate within Congress is gaining ground that
AICC General Secretary Rahul Gandhi could take over the mantle
from Prime Minister Manmohan Singh before completion of the
present term of UPA ministry, media, in a balancing act, has
created similar plot in the BJP too," he said.
Asked whether Advani or Modi was a better candidate for
Prime Ministership, Sinha shot back, saying there are many
leaders in the BJP capable of occupying the PM`s post.
He, however, did not identify any of them.
On whether he could also be a candidate, the former
Finance Minister said, "Why not. Does anybody have doubt on my
He said the party would decide close to the elections who
should be projected as the Prime Ministerial candidate or
whether or not anybody should be projected at all.
When pointed out that Advani`s Jan rath yatra was seen as
linked to his Prime Ministerial ambitions, Sinha sought to
emphasise that the two were not linked.
Describing the yatra as a political movement against
corruption, he said it should not be seen from narrow prism of
"Modi-versus-Advani" fight for Prime Ministership.
He also supported the timing of the launch of the yatra,
which began from Loknayak Jayprakash Narayan`s native place in
Sitabdiara in Bihar.
"The timing and venue for the start of Jan rath yatra
from Sitabdiara of Advaniji is perfectly timed," Sinha said,
adding there could not have been any other auspicious date
than JP`s birth anniversary for launching the campaign like
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state