Many deemed varsities lack facilities, faculty: UGC
New Delhi: The UGC committees, reviewing
the functioning of 130 deemed universities across the country,
have found several deficiencies, including shortage of
teachers and facilities, in a number of such institutions.
The University Grants Commission (UGC) today approved
the reports of the committees on about ten deemed universities
and forwarded the reports to the government for action. The
UGC has so far approved the reports on 47 deemed universities.
"Today the reports of about 10 deemed universities
were placed before the Commission. The commission considered
the reports and recommended the government for appropriate
action," a senior UGC official said.
While many of the deemed universities have adequate
facilities, a few others have been found lacking in
infrastructure and faculty, he said.
The government has started review of functioning of
such institutions amid allegations that many non-deserving
institutes have been conferred deemed-to-be-university status
in the last five years. There are also reports of many of
these institutes indulging in malpractices.
The Centre has asked UGC to carry out a complete
review of functioning of these deemed universities, besides
setting up a committee of its own.
The UGC has set up a number of committees to complete
the review by end of this month.
The government is critical about functioning of the
deemed universities and their growth. Of the total 130 such
institutions, over 60 were given the status of deemed
universities in the last five years.
The HRD Ministry`s own committee is expected to submit
its report this month. The committee is expected to recommend
severe action against some of the deemed universities if they
are found to be lacking in facilities. Some of the deemed
universities could be reverted to their original status of
colleges, sources said.
The status of deemed universities is conferred by the
government on the recommendation of UGC under Section three of
the UGC Act. However, there are allegations that the provision
has been misused in the last few years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket explodes minutes after Florida launch
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional