Many deemed varsities lack facilities, faculty: UGC
New Delhi: The UGC committees, reviewing
the functioning of 130 deemed universities across the country,
have found several deficiencies, including shortage of
teachers and facilities, in a number of such institutions.
The University Grants Commission (UGC) today approved
the reports of the committees on about ten deemed universities
and forwarded the reports to the government for action. The
UGC has so far approved the reports on 47 deemed universities.
"Today the reports of about 10 deemed universities
were placed before the Commission. The commission considered
the reports and recommended the government for appropriate
action," a senior UGC official said.
While many of the deemed universities have adequate
facilities, a few others have been found lacking in
infrastructure and faculty, he said.
The government has started review of functioning of
such institutions amid allegations that many non-deserving
institutes have been conferred deemed-to-be-university status
in the last five years. There are also reports of many of
these institutes indulging in malpractices.
The Centre has asked UGC to carry out a complete
review of functioning of these deemed universities, besides
setting up a committee of its own.
The UGC has set up a number of committees to complete
the review by end of this month.
The government is critical about functioning of the
deemed universities and their growth. Of the total 130 such
institutions, over 60 were given the status of deemed
universities in the last five years.
The HRD Ministry`s own committee is expected to submit
its report this month. The committee is expected to recommend
severe action against some of the deemed universities if they
are found to be lacking in facilities. Some of the deemed
universities could be reverted to their original status of
colleges, sources said.
The status of deemed universities is conferred by the
government on the recommendation of UGC under Section three of
the UGC Act. However, there are allegations that the provision
has been misused in the last few years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in