Many parties using infiltrators as vote banks: Sushma
Guwahati: BJP leader Sushma Swaraj on Friday
said that many political parties are not taking the problem of
infiltration seriously because of `vote bank politics`.
"There is no consensus on the issue among the
political parties as they are not serious and some are
treating infiltrators as their vote bank," Swaraj told a
conclave on influx of Bangladeshis organised by the North East
Policy Institute here.
She regretted that several important clauses of the
historic Assam Accord, signed 25 years ago, have not been
"All political parties need to go in for self-
introspection and analyse why the accord has not been
implemented", she said.
Describing the agitation spearheaded by the All Assam
Students Union (AASU) in the 1980s against infiltration as the
biggest struggle after Independence, Swaraj called for a new
"workline" to ensure that the accord was implemented.
"A new workline has to be thrashed out which should be
legally tenable, socially acceptable and politically useful,"
the BJP leader said.
"There has been severe set back in deportation of
infiltrators as a result of which the demographic pattern of
Assam is threatened," she said.
Swaraj called for completing the fencing work along
the Indo-Bangla border which was the only solution in stopping
influx of foreigners.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?