Many West-bound Indian flights cancelled due to volcanic ash
New Delhi: All long-haul flights between India and Britain, the US, Canada as well as some other European cities were cancelled or indefinitely delayed Friday as airspace remained closed over several North European airports due to drifting ash from a volcano in Iceland.
Spokespersons of Air India, Jet Airways and Kingfisher Airlines said they have suspended operations to and from these destinations due to closure of airspace.
All west-bound flights of Air India were suspended from this afternoon for the next 48 hours, a spokesperson of the national carrier said.
Similarly, Jet Airways announced indefinite delay in its flights to London`s Heathrow airport and its European hub Brussels that were scheduled for departure today.
These included onward flights from Brussels to JFK Airport in New York, Newark and Toronto, a spokesperson said.
Due to closure of Heathrow and Brussels Airports, Jet Airways` announces an indefinite delay of its flights bound for Europe.
She said Jet Airways was working with the authorities to obtain the required permission to reschedule the flights at the earliest and said all penalties for cancellation or rescheduling of travel plan have been waived.
Kingfisher also cancelled four flights between London Heathrow and Delhi and Mumbai scheduled today.
Passengers have been advised to call the airline office to know their flight schedule before proceeding for airports, officials said.
Ash clouds from Icelandic volcano continued to hang over European skies today shutting down major airport hubs like Frankfurt, London and Paris for the second day.
The British Air Traffic Control has prohibited aircraft from entering certain parts of airspace over the UK as flying ash can compromise visibility and debris can be sucked into the engines of aircraft.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter