Many West-bound Indian flights cancelled due to volcanic ash
New Delhi: All long-haul flights between India and Britain, the US, Canada as well as some other European cities were cancelled or indefinitely delayed Friday as airspace remained closed over several North European airports due to drifting ash from a volcano in Iceland.
Spokespersons of Air India, Jet Airways and Kingfisher Airlines said they have suspended operations to and from these destinations due to closure of airspace.
All west-bound flights of Air India were suspended from this afternoon for the next 48 hours, a spokesperson of the national carrier said.
Similarly, Jet Airways announced indefinite delay in its flights to London`s Heathrow airport and its European hub Brussels that were scheduled for departure today.
These included onward flights from Brussels to JFK Airport in New York, Newark and Toronto, a spokesperson said.
Due to closure of Heathrow and Brussels Airports, Jet Airways` announces an indefinite delay of its flights bound for Europe.
She said Jet Airways was working with the authorities to obtain the required permission to reschedule the flights at the earliest and said all penalties for cancellation or rescheduling of travel plan have been waived.
Kingfisher also cancelled four flights between London Heathrow and Delhi and Mumbai scheduled today.
Passengers have been advised to call the airline office to know their flight schedule before proceeding for airports, officials said.
Ash clouds from Icelandic volcano continued to hang over European skies today shutting down major airport hubs like Frankfurt, London and Paris for the second day.
The British Air Traffic Control has prohibited aircraft from entering certain parts of airspace over the UK as flying ash can compromise visibility and debris can be sucked into the engines of aircraft.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi