`Maoist anarchy affecting tribal welfare in WB`
New Delhi: The "anarchist and terrorist-
type" activities of Naxalites in some tribal areas of West
Bengal were creating hurdles in carrying out welfare and
educational programmes for the community, senior CPI(M) leader
Biman Bose said today.
"In Jangal Mahal (forested areas of three Naxal-infested
districts of West Bengal), activities of the CPI (Maoists) are
posing problems. They are creating anarchy and continuing
terrorist-type attacks," the West Bengal CPI(M) secretary told
a two-day tribal convention here.
He said this was causing problems in carrying out
welfare activities for the tribals in the area. "A residential
girls school was set up in (Maoist-hit) Belpahari but the
anarchy is jeopardising their education," Bose said.
The CPI(M) Politburo member said tribals are facing
discrimination in many parts of the country and government
along with multinationals are indulging in "unholy land-
He said there is need for addressing issues of
regional imbalance and uneven development.
The tribal convention, attended by 200 delegates from
16 states, announced the formation of a `National Platform for
Tribal Rights` and said it will launch a week-long campaign
from July 23 to fight for rights of tribals across the
country under which demonstrations, marches and sit-ins will
"The meeting discussed several key issues like the
connivance with and promotion of corporate interests by the
UPA government in tribal areas, leading to displacement and
land-grabbing," CPI(M) Politburo member Brinda Karat told
reporters after the convention.
She said lack of central package for tribal farmers,
employment for tribal youth and use of "absurd criteria" to
deprive tribals holding small plots of Below Poverty Line
facilities were other issues raised during the convention and
will be on focus during the July campaign.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing