Maoist Azad`s killing not correct: Mamata
Lalgarh: Railway Minister Mamata Banerjee
Monday termed as "not correct" the killing of Maoist leader
Cherukuri Rajkumar alias Azad who, she claimed, had agreed to
hold talks with the government on behalf of the Naxals.
Azad, who was a member of the CPI (Maoists) politburo and
a spokesperson for the insurgents, was killed by police in an
encounter in Adilabad district of Andhra Pradesh on July 2.
"I feel the way Azad was killed is not correct. Swami
Agnivesh has made him agree to hold talks (with the
government). What happened was not correct. I feel the process
(for holding talks with the Maoists) should start," Banerjee,
the Trinamool Congress chief, told a rally here.
Social activist Agnivesh, who is an interlocutor between
the government and the Left extremists, also attended the
"We pay respect to his soul from this meeting," she said
of the top Maoist leader.
Agnivesh, on his part, demanded a judicial inquiry into
the killing, stating that his demand for a probe was rejected
by Union Home Minister P Chidambaram.
"Subsequently, I spoke to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh
who assured me that an inquiry will be held. But there has
been no order for an inquiry till today," he told a rally
called under the banner of the `Santras Birodhi Mancha`
(Anti-Terror Platform) organised by the Trinamool chief.
Agnivesh also demanded a probe into the killings of
People`s Committee Against Police Atrocities leaders Lalmohan
Tudu and Sidhu Soren in West Bengal.
Stating that he was against violence by the Maoists,
Agnivesh demanded, "If they have killed people claiming they
were police informers, it should also be probed."
He said `Santras Birodhi Manchas` would be formed
countrywide and a round table organised to deliberate on the
root cause of the Maoist problem.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- Zee Media Exclusive: Wife says Yakub Memon unwell, appeals to govt for clemency