Maoist Azad`s killing not correct: Mamata
Lalgarh: Railway Minister Mamata Banerjee
Monday termed as "not correct" the killing of Maoist leader
Cherukuri Rajkumar alias Azad who, she claimed, had agreed to
hold talks with the government on behalf of the Naxals.
Azad, who was a member of the CPI (Maoists) politburo and
a spokesperson for the insurgents, was killed by police in an
encounter in Adilabad district of Andhra Pradesh on July 2.
"I feel the way Azad was killed is not correct. Swami
Agnivesh has made him agree to hold talks (with the
government). What happened was not correct. I feel the process
(for holding talks with the Maoists) should start," Banerjee,
the Trinamool Congress chief, told a rally here.
Social activist Agnivesh, who is an interlocutor between
the government and the Left extremists, also attended the
"We pay respect to his soul from this meeting," she said
of the top Maoist leader.
Agnivesh, on his part, demanded a judicial inquiry into
the killing, stating that his demand for a probe was rejected
by Union Home Minister P Chidambaram.
"Subsequently, I spoke to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh
who assured me that an inquiry will be held. But there has
been no order for an inquiry till today," he told a rally
called under the banner of the `Santras Birodhi Mancha`
(Anti-Terror Platform) organised by the Trinamool chief.
Agnivesh also demanded a probe into the killings of
People`s Committee Against Police Atrocities leaders Lalmohan
Tudu and Sidhu Soren in West Bengal.
Stating that he was against violence by the Maoists,
Agnivesh demanded, "If they have killed people claiming they
were police informers, it should also be probed."
He said `Santras Birodhi Manchas` would be formed
countrywide and a round table organised to deliberate on the
root cause of the Maoist problem.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door