Maoist bandh: Railways step up vigil
New Delhi: In view of the two-day bandh
called by the Maoists in five states, Railways on Tuesday stepped
up vigil across its network, especially in Bihar and
Jharkhand, and cancelled some trains besides imposing speed
restrictions on trains plying after sunset.
Naxal-hit Bihar and Jharkhand, which come under the
jurisdiction of East Central Railway (ECR), have witnessed
several incidents where Maoists have attempted to disrupt rail
traffic, hijack passenger trains or blow up tracks during
"Speed restrictions will also apply to all Rajdhani
trains which originate or run through these two states during
night time and will not travel beyond 75 kmph per hour," said
a Railway official.
ECR has cancelled eight trains and has decided to
divert six others through safer routes to ensure safe passage
of trains during these two days, said another official of the
zone, headquartered in Hajipur.
The ultras have given a bandh call in Chhattisgarh,
Orissa, Bihar, Jharkhand and West Bengal.
During this period, trains running via Garhwa
Road-Barkakana stretch in Jharkhand will be diverted via
Gomoh, Gaya and Mughalsarai.
"If necessary, patrol engines will run before
Rajdhanis pass through the Gomoh-Gaya-Mughalsarai stretch,"
the official said.
During a similar bandh in March this year, Maoist had
targeted the Bhubaneswar Rajdhani, derailing it near Gaya.
Passengers had a providential escape when eight coaches of the
train derailed after the ultras blew up the railway track.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Shocking revelation! Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was pregnant
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning