Maoist bandh: Railways to keep Quick Reaction teams ready
New Delhi: Apprehending "threat to railway
property and passenger safety" during the two-day bandh called
by Maoists in five states from tomorrow, Railways have decided
to keep "Quick Reaction Teams" in readiness and conduct
intensive petrolling of vital assets.
Several trains will also remain cancelled during this
period and speed restrictions of 65 kmph will come into force
during night hours while all trains including Rajdhani
expresses will have RPF and RPSF escort party.
"The measures will be mostly observed in East Central
Railway (ECR) covering parts of Jharkhand and Bihar," said a
Railway official, adding, the measures will come into force
from 10 pm today to 5 am on July 7.
The Maoists have called the bandh in Bihar, Jharkhand,
Orissa, Chattishgarh and Orissa from tomorrow till July 1.
The official said the Quick Reaction Team will be kept in
readiness at important locations in ECR besides intensifying
patrolling of bridges and vital installations especially
during night hours.
Six trains will remain suspended during this period and
as many trains will be diverted via Mughalsarai. Timing of two
trains will be revised, he said.
Meanwhile, Railways have extended suspension of night
running of trains in Kharagpur division of South Eastern
Railway till July 5.
The suspension will remain in force between Kharagpur and
Tatanagar and Kharagpur and Adra from 10 pm to 5 am, said a
Both South Eastern as well as East Coast Railway have
rescheduled several trains in view of the night suspension.
Railway Board Chairman Vivek Sahai said earlier that
night services will resume once they are confident of the
security in the area. The suspension came into effect from May
28 after the Jnaneshwari train accident, supposedly carried
out by the Maoist, which claimed 148 lives.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror