Maoist bandh: Railways to keep Quick Reaction teams ready
New Delhi: Apprehending "threat to railway
property and passenger safety" during the two-day bandh called
by Maoists in five states from tomorrow, Railways have decided
to keep "Quick Reaction Teams" in readiness and conduct
intensive petrolling of vital assets.
Several trains will also remain cancelled during this
period and speed restrictions of 65 kmph will come into force
during night hours while all trains including Rajdhani
expresses will have RPF and RPSF escort party.
"The measures will be mostly observed in East Central
Railway (ECR) covering parts of Jharkhand and Bihar," said a
Railway official, adding, the measures will come into force
from 10 pm today to 5 am on July 7.
The Maoists have called the bandh in Bihar, Jharkhand,
Orissa, Chattishgarh and Orissa from tomorrow till July 1.
The official said the Quick Reaction Team will be kept in
readiness at important locations in ECR besides intensifying
patrolling of bridges and vital installations especially
during night hours.
Six trains will remain suspended during this period and
as many trains will be diverted via Mughalsarai. Timing of two
trains will be revised, he said.
Meanwhile, Railways have extended suspension of night
running of trains in Kharagpur division of South Eastern
Railway till July 5.
The suspension will remain in force between Kharagpur and
Tatanagar and Kharagpur and Adra from 10 pm to 5 am, said a
Both South Eastern as well as East Coast Railway have
rescheduled several trains in view of the night suspension.
Railway Board Chairman Vivek Sahai said earlier that
night services will resume once they are confident of the
security in the area. The suspension came into effect from May
28 after the Jnaneshwari train accident, supposedly carried
out by the Maoist, which claimed 148 lives.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand