Maoist movement a mutiny in agony: Meghalaya Guv
Shillong: The Maoist movement was a "mutiny
in agony" and the ultras had taken up arms because of
exploitation of their areas, Meghalaya Governor R S Mooshahary
"These people who were peaceful, humble and peace loving
have now raised a war against the Indian union. It has some
relevance to the environmental aspect because we have gone and
exploited their areas. We have deprived them of their means of
livelihood which the forest used to give them," Mooshahary, a
former chief of BSF and the elite NSG, said.
"They have nowhere else to go and today if they are
taking up the arms, they are sending us the message that what
we have done in the last many years have caused them a lot of
agony .... And, now we do not know how to control it," the
governor said, inaugurating the Shillong CMS Vatavaran
environment and wildlife film festival.
Stating that a balance should be ensured between progress
and preservation, Mooshahary contended that both were
Stressing on the need to create facilities for a better
quality of life, he, however said, "In the name of development,
if you destroy everything, it will bring bitter problems."
About coal mining in Meghalaya, he said it had rendered
large tracts of land unusable. "Rat hole mining is degrading
the land. Mining is important... but technology should be used
so that the land is restored to its usability."
He also referred to the erstwhile Bodo Liberation Tigers
of Assam who after laying down their arms and forming the
Bodoland Autonomous Territorial Council were now playing an
important role in preserving the Manas National Park.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah