Maoist-police gunfight: Naxals suffer reverses
Raipur: Security forces today launched a
major operation at a Naxal hideout in the dense forests of
Chhattisgarh`s Dantewada district in which Maoists were
believed to have suffered some casualties.
After the operation started around noon, there was
fierce exchange of fire between the Naxals and the security
The incident took place under Kirandul police station
area in the district when a joint team of STF, district police
force and Koya Commandos had gone for patrolling.
"We have received information that all the security
personnel are safe while some Naxals were killed in the
firing," Additional Director General of Police Ramnivas said.
He, however, did not specify the number of Naxals
killed in the attack as bodies of the slain ultras were not
found. Naxalites are known to carry away bodies of colleagues
killed in encounters.
According to Dantewada Police, Naxalites began to
retreat after the CRPF men and district force joined the
"A team of 75 police personnel had gone into the area
in pursuit of a Naxal commander and his associates,"
Chhattisgarh Police chief Vishwaranjan had earlier told PTI.
On April 6, 75 CRPF personnel and a state policemen
were killed in Dantewada after over 100 Naxals ambushed the
patrol party and looted weapons.
In another incident on June 29, a large number of
heavily-armed Maoists, perched on a hilltop, had opened fire
with automatic weapons on a 63-member security contingent
which was returning on foot from road opening duty, killing 26
CRPF personnel in Narayanpur district. The dead included a
CRPF Assistant Commandant Jatin Gulati.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- DNA: How terrorists are trained by Pakistan Navy with help of ISI
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!