`Maoist problem biggest security threat for CRPF`
Agartala: The Maoist problem is the biggest security threat for the CRPF currently, para-military force`s chief Pranay Sahay said here Tuesday.
"It (Maoist terrorism) is definitely the largest threat in terms of task given to the CRPF (Central Reserve Police Force)," Sahay told reporters.
He said that the CRPF troopers are also geared up with all modern weapons and gadgets to curb the Maoist terrorism in India.
The CRPF director general arrived here Monday on a two-day state visit to review the para-military forces` preparedness ahead of the Tripura assembly elections, due in February next year.
According to Sahay, of the total of 207 CRPF battalions, around 37 to 38 percent forces have been deployed in the Maoist affected areas of the country alone, followed by 33 percent in Jammu and Kashmir, 28 percent in the northeast region and remaining in various parts of the country.
"Our thrust area right now is in the Maoist area only," said the CRPF chief.
Quoting from the union home ministry`s report, he said Tripura is the `model state` in the country in the context of containment of four and a half decades old terrorism.
"In all circles, including the ministry of home affairs, Tripura has been referred to as the model state in terms of taming violent activities of the separatist outfits and there is no doubt about it."
On Jammu and Kashmir, Sahay said: "The situation in Jammu and Kashmir is well contained but we are very much alert so that there are no problems in the future. Only two days back in Kashmir, we along with the Rashtriya Rifles and state police have killed three militants."
He asserted that the para-military force is well-equipped and have the latest arms and technology to counter Maoist and other threat.
"In modernisation, we have procured very high degree of equipment especially with reference to the threat to Maoist areas. In fact, the CRPF uses the best weapons. We are much better than our adversaries," Sahay added.
He said: "We also used unmanned aerial vehicles and observe the movement of unwanted people on the ground."
"Our cadres have got expected skills. We don`t have problem."
Sahay, former director general of Tripura Police, during his stay here met Governor DY Patil, Chief Minister Manik Sarkar, Chief Secretary SK Panda and senior security officials and discussed the various pre-poll strategies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow