Maoist sympathisers burn effigies of PC, Buddhadeb
Kolkata: Hundreds of Maoist sympathisers,
including intellectuals led by noted writer Mahasweta Devi,
today jostled with the police and burnt effigies of Union Home
Minister P Chidambaram and West Bengal Chief Minister
Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee while a meeting to discuss strategy to
combat the extremists was on in the metropolis.
Shouting anti-government slogans, the sympathisers
paraded the city streets protesting against the proposed
`Operation Greenhunt` and demanded an end to "torture of
innocent people in the name of combating Maoists".
Mahasweta Devi, however, left the rally soon after it
left the College square area and proceeded towards Esplanade.
As the procession moved towards Esplanade, the agitators
were prevented by the police to move further.
Traffic was disrupted near Dorina crossing area due to
the procession, police said.
Meanwhile, unprecedented security measures were taken in
and around the state secretariat where the crucial meeting,
presided over by Chidambaram, took place.
Policemen threw a human chain to guard the area leading
to the VVIP zone and the Chief Minister`s office.
Scanners were installed at the central gate and sniffer
dogs were engaged as part of the enhanced security drill at
the venue where all visitors were frisked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!