Maoist sympathisers burn effigies of PC, Buddhadeb
Kolkata: Hundreds of Maoist sympathisers,
including intellectuals led by noted writer Mahasweta Devi,
today jostled with the police and burnt effigies of Union Home
Minister P Chidambaram and West Bengal Chief Minister
Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee while a meeting to discuss strategy to
combat the extremists was on in the metropolis.
Shouting anti-government slogans, the sympathisers
paraded the city streets protesting against the proposed
`Operation Greenhunt` and demanded an end to "torture of
innocent people in the name of combating Maoists".
Mahasweta Devi, however, left the rally soon after it
left the College square area and proceeded towards Esplanade.
As the procession moved towards Esplanade, the agitators
were prevented by the police to move further.
Traffic was disrupted near Dorina crossing area due to
the procession, police said.
Meanwhile, unprecedented security measures were taken in
and around the state secretariat where the crucial meeting,
presided over by Chidambaram, took place.
Policemen threw a human chain to guard the area leading
to the VVIP zone and the Chief Minister`s office.
Scanners were installed at the central gate and sniffer
dogs were engaged as part of the enhanced security drill at
the venue where all visitors were frisked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?