Maoist sympathisers burn effigies of PC, Buddhadeb
Kolkata: Hundreds of Maoist sympathisers,
including intellectuals led by noted writer Mahasweta Devi,
today jostled with the police and burnt effigies of Union Home
Minister P Chidambaram and West Bengal Chief Minister
Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee while a meeting to discuss strategy to
combat the extremists was on in the metropolis.
Shouting anti-government slogans, the sympathisers
paraded the city streets protesting against the proposed
`Operation Greenhunt` and demanded an end to "torture of
innocent people in the name of combating Maoists".
Mahasweta Devi, however, left the rally soon after it
left the College square area and proceeded towards Esplanade.
As the procession moved towards Esplanade, the agitators
were prevented by the police to move further.
Traffic was disrupted near Dorina crossing area due to
the procession, police said.
Meanwhile, unprecedented security measures were taken in
and around the state secretariat where the crucial meeting,
presided over by Chidambaram, took place.
Policemen threw a human chain to guard the area leading
to the VVIP zone and the Chief Minister`s office.
Scanners were installed at the central gate and sniffer
dogs were engaged as part of the enhanced security drill at
the venue where all visitors were frisked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray