Maoists are born because of govt attitude: Court
Mumbai: Government`s apathetic attitude
towards the problems of project-affected people breeds
Maoists, the Bombay High Court remarked Thursday.
The division bench of Chief Justice Mohit Shah and
Justice S C Dharmadhikari was hearing a PIL filed by one Baban
Kadam, on behalf of those farmers who lost their lands to the
Chaskaman dam, situated in Pune district.
Petition contends that despite a scheme to allot
alternate land, 90 per cent of around 3000 project-affected
families haven`t got land.
"Maoists and Naxalites are born because of this kind of
attitude," an angry bench remarked, seeking reply from the
Government`s contention is that people haven`t come
forward to take advantage of the scheme, under which a person
may get alternate land if he deposits 65 per cent of the cost
of land with government within 45 days of land acquisition.
But advocate Shakuntala Wadekar, for the petitioner, said
that most people in this tribal area were "100 per cent
illiterate" and were not aware of the scheme when their own
lands were acquired.
The division bench remarked that three decades have
passed after land acquisition began in 1976. "You must reach
out to people. You must not expect them to come to you," the
The court asked state to file affidavit, seeking
information as to how many project affected families got
alternate land, and how relief could be given to the rest.
Advocate Wadekar said that government is supposed to
maintain a register of project-affected persons, but it has
not been updated in this case.
Many names are missing from it, she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre