Maoists are born because of govt attitude: Court
Mumbai: Government`s apathetic attitude
towards the problems of project-affected people breeds
Maoists, the Bombay High Court remarked Thursday.
The division bench of Chief Justice Mohit Shah and
Justice S C Dharmadhikari was hearing a PIL filed by one Baban
Kadam, on behalf of those farmers who lost their lands to the
Chaskaman dam, situated in Pune district.
Petition contends that despite a scheme to allot
alternate land, 90 per cent of around 3000 project-affected
families haven`t got land.
"Maoists and Naxalites are born because of this kind of
attitude," an angry bench remarked, seeking reply from the
Government`s contention is that people haven`t come
forward to take advantage of the scheme, under which a person
may get alternate land if he deposits 65 per cent of the cost
of land with government within 45 days of land acquisition.
But advocate Shakuntala Wadekar, for the petitioner, said
that most people in this tribal area were "100 per cent
illiterate" and were not aware of the scheme when their own
lands were acquired.
The division bench remarked that three decades have
passed after land acquisition began in 1976. "You must reach
out to people. You must not expect them to come to you," the
The court asked state to file affidavit, seeking
information as to how many project affected families got
alternate land, and how relief could be given to the rest.
Advocate Wadekar said that government is supposed to
maintain a register of project-affected persons, but it has
not been updated in this case.
Many names are missing from it, she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you