Maoists burn couple alive over land dispute in Jharkhand
Ranchi: A couple was burnt alive by suspected Maoists in Jharkhand`s Palamau district, due to their land dispute with a rebel commander, police said on Sunday.
"Divesh Singh and his wife, Devbrati Devi were burnt alive at Saraidih village by suspected Maoist rebels," Palamau`s Superintendent of Police Jatin Narwal said.
Around 10 to 15 rebels raided the Saraidih village, 180 km from Ranchi, Saturday night and set Divesh`s house on fire. The couple who were sleeping at the time were burnt alive. The rebels left a pamphlet at the spot, terming the couple "police informers".
According to Narwal, Divesh had a land dispute with Mahendra Bhuiya, an area commander of the banned Communist Party of India-Maoist (CPI-Maoist).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!