Maoists flourish only in non-Congress states: Ramesh
Bhubaneswar: Maoist activities have flourished in the states where the Congress is not in power, Union Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh said on Saturday.
"Maoists are strong only in areas where the Congress party is weak. In Jharkhand, Congress party is weak. In Odisha, the Congress is not in power," the minister told a gathering in Nuapada district in Odisha.
"Wherever the Congress party is weak, the Maoists got the patronage," he said in district headquarters town of Nuapada, about 450 km from state capital Bhubaneswar. The region is considered a Maoist stronghold.
The minister visited several villages close to the town, interacted with villagers and reviewed implementation of schemes launched by his ministry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report