Maoists forced red sanders smugglers to change their route
Leh: The ongoing Maoist problem in India has
forced the smugglers to take a new route for illegally
transporting red sanders wood to China through Leh instead of
the usual one via Nepal.
The fact surfaced during the probe of seizure of 50
tonnes of red sanders here. The authorities came to know that
the first illegal consignment of the wood was transported to
China through Leh, official sources said.
"Because of increased Maoist movement, this route was
explored. In 2007, first illegal consignment of red sanders
came to Leh and taken to China," they said.
The investigation agencies have found that arrested
alleged smuggler Ringzin Dorjey is just a small fish in the
racket which is being run by a Tibetan couple settled here.
"Knowing that police is keeping a watch on these
activities, they tried to make it more legal by filling form
25 from Forest Department and transporting illegal wood hidden
under the permitted one," an official privy to the
investigations told about the modus operandi of the gang.
"They have other novel ways to transport illegal wood
under oranges, onion, cotton and floor etc. and pay taxes
enroute for all such things without being noticed by any
checkpost," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!