Maoists may attack political leaders in Bengal
Kolkata: There is a "high probability" of political leaders coming under a Chhattisgarh-type attack during their panchayat poll campaign in Maoist-hit Jangalmahal in West Bengal, intelligence sources have indicated.
The Maoists have been trying hard to regroup in the area, once the hotbed of their activity, ever since their leader Kishenji died in an encounter with joint forces in 2011 and arrest of several top leaders.
The intelligence sources said the extremists would probably try to strike big in the area, which comprises three districts of West Midnapore, Purulia and Bankura, to make their presence felt.
"The Maoists are trying to regroup in Jangalmahal for the last few months but till now they haven`t tasted success. There is a high probability that Maoists might try to attack political leaders campaigning in Junglemahal. But we are keeping a close watch," a senior official of the State Intelligence bureau (SIB) said on condition of anonymity.
The SIB official`s warning came days after the Union Home Ministry instructed the state government to beef up security in areas with Maoist presence and review of security of political leaders following the massacre of Congress leaders in Chhattisgarh in May.
The state government had also appointed Virendra, Director of the Chief Minister`s security, as a nodal officer in this regard.
According to sources, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, former chief minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee, Trinamool Congress leaders Mukul Roy, Suvendu Adhikary and other leaders of TMC and CPI(M) are on the hit-list of Maoists.
The ultras had in 2008 unsuccessfully made an attempt on the life of Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee.
Jangalmahal, which had witnessed killings, kidnappings, encounters and sabotage of trains since 2008, passed a relatively peaceful year in 2012 after the death of Kishenji and surrender of leaders like dreaded Jagori Baske.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened