Maoists numbers, military potential increasing: Shinde
New Delhi: Maoist cadres in the country are gaining in strength and have displayed military potential to form new battalions, union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde warned Thursday.
"Naxalism continues to pose a significant challenge. There are indicators about increase in the number of trained and armed cadres, reorganisation of military potential for formation of new battalions," Shinde said.
They were displaying potential for "the creation of well-developed indigenous capacity for accretions to their arsenal", he added.
Shinde was delivering the inaugural address at a three-day annual meet here of police directors general and inspectors general from states and central police forces.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet