Marandi moves SC, seeks dismissal of Soren govt
New Delhi: Jharkhand Vikas Morcha chief
Babulal Marandi Tuesday moved the Supreme Court seeking
dismissal of the Shibu Soren government, accusing him of
misusing the constitutional provision for occupying the post
of chief minister without being elected to the state Assembly.
Marandi, who was the first chief minister of Jharkhand
after the state was carved out from Bihar, accused the JMM
chief of misusing the special provision under Article 164 (4)
of the Constitution.
Article 164 (4) enables an unelected person to become
chief minister subject to the condition that he/she would get
elected to the Assembly within six months.
Marandi`s petition filed through advocate Anurag Kumar
alleged it was the third time that Soren took advantage of the
constitutional provision and has been unable to get himself
elected to the House.
He has sought a direction for the Governor to restrain
Soren to function as a full-fledged chief minister and from
taking cabinet decisions on policy matters.
The petition said it has now become impossible for the
JMM chief to get elected to the House as only 42 days are left
for him to complete six months as chief minister since he was
sworn in on December 30, 2009, while the Election Commission
takes around 47 days to complete the process of bye-election.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh