Marandi moves SC, seeks dismissal of Soren govt
New Delhi: Jharkhand Vikas Morcha chief
Babulal Marandi Tuesday moved the Supreme Court seeking
dismissal of the Shibu Soren government, accusing him of
misusing the constitutional provision for occupying the post
of chief minister without being elected to the state Assembly.
Marandi, who was the first chief minister of Jharkhand
after the state was carved out from Bihar, accused the JMM
chief of misusing the special provision under Article 164 (4)
of the Constitution.
Article 164 (4) enables an unelected person to become
chief minister subject to the condition that he/she would get
elected to the Assembly within six months.
Marandi`s petition filed through advocate Anurag Kumar
alleged it was the third time that Soren took advantage of the
constitutional provision and has been unable to get himself
elected to the House.
He has sought a direction for the Governor to restrain
Soren to function as a full-fledged chief minister and from
taking cabinet decisions on policy matters.
The petition said it has now become impossible for the
JMM chief to get elected to the House as only 42 days are left
for him to complete six months as chief minister since he was
sworn in on December 30, 2009, while the Election Commission
takes around 47 days to complete the process of bye-election.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what
- MP student proposes Congress VP Rahul Gandhi's name to Guinness Book for losing maximum elections